TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Blacklist

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Blacklist

Postby tempuser123 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:51 pm

At what point would I potentially be put on a blacklist for having a landlord/tenant dispute? If my landlord sues me and says they are going to take me to housing court, it that enough to get reported to the tenant data verification agencies?
tempuser123

Postby NYHawk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:26 am

yes, once you are sued in HC you are blacklisted
NYHawk

Totally unfair and biased

Postby imanygirl » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Even if you end up being 100% in the right and the landlord is totally wrong or if YOU bring suit against the landlord, you are on it. They don't care about details or specifics or who the court favors or what happened. If you ever go to court for housing for any reason whatsoever, you're on it. And the most frustrating thing in the world is there is no way to get off it. It's a major reason why I didn't want to take my landlord to court despite having to live through over a year of a flooding kitchen, gaping hole in my ceiling and mold growth. Now the bastards are in court because the building is being foreclosed and the new landlord decided to take me to court so I have nothing more to lose and I'm fighting back. I'm screwed because now I will probably never be able to get an apt in NYC again without paying a year upfront, which is never going to happen.

Good luck. I'd advise getting someone else to be on the lease, if you can. Of course, all of this is just "speculation" since the blacklist is one of the greatest mysteries (and fears) known to NYC renters...
imanygirl

Return to Housing Court - NYC