TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sublet Scam - What to do?

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Sublet Scam - What to do?

Postby joesixpack » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:08 pm

A friend got scammed by responding to an ad on CL, paying a large deposit for a sublet, then being notified that she would not be allowed to move in and that she would not get her money back. The reasons given for being unable to return her money were not credible. At least one other person appears to have been duped. What should my friend do? Is there any point in going to the police? Is there any recourse? She does not know the name of the other victim.

Thanks.
joesixpack

Postby TenantNet » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:01 pm

People also get scammed when they use their real names on internet forums. Suggest you change it to something not identifiable.

Sue the person. Call the Attorney General. Remind the "friend" how stupid it was for he/she to use Craig's List.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby joesixpack » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 pm

thanks for the advice regarding names. it really is a friend, i.e. not me, and something good happened today. she went to the police to file a report, and the other victim was there filling out a report. quite a coincidence. so now they are united, and it sounds like the police are going to take action. we'll see.

i will pass on the advice regarding the attorney general, CL, etc.
joesixpack

Return to Housing Court - NYC