TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Advice - I settled but not sure I can pay past due rent

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Advice - I settled but not sure I can pay past due rent

Postby NYC2009 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:56 am

I am desperately seeking advice...

I just settled with the attorney for my landlord - I owed several months rent totaling thousands of dollars. As part of the settlement, I am expected to pay at least half in a month. I am not sure I can pay back this amount so I wasn't sure what the next step should be.

Here are my plans/questions as of now:

1) I will try and find a new apartment with the hopes of being out of my current apartment by December 1. However, I don't even know if I will have enough $$ to pay for security/first months and most definitely won't have money for a broker fee. How likely will a landlord even rent to someone with a pending case?

I also have been unemployed for many months now (collecting unemployment that will soon run out, but starting a short-term freelance assignment), which is what got us in this mess to begin with. My credit is bad as a result and I can't seem to locate a cosigner. The number of apartments under $1100 is also very limited in NYC so I don't even have much confidence in finding a cheaper apartment than I am renting now.

2) If I move before eviction, what happens to my case?

3) Yes I have been to NYC Human Resources for a one-shot deal, but it's a loan, and without a cosigner, they probably won't grant me the loan anyway since I need more proof I can pay. They also offer assistance with a broker fee, security, first month rent, but I believe that is also a loan that requires a cosigner.

So, considering what my situation is, what would you do?

It seems like my options are limited - I don't want to have to leave NYC, but it sure seems like that may be my only choice, considering my poor credit, lack of a cosigner, lack of a regular full-time job. Aside from all of this, I believe my renting troubles would probably carry over to other states (as would my poor credit obviously), so even within the country as a whole, my options for finding a suitable apartment are probably limited.

Input would be great.
NYC2009

Postby TenantNet » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:18 am

Quick observation. With all these troubles, you do have a roof over your head. Why move? You might qualify for legal aid or legal services given your situation. I'd revisit whatever agreement you made with the LL's lawyer ... it might have provisions that no tenant should sign.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Interesting points

Postby NYC2009 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:13 am

The main problem is that the agreement appeared to be the norm for settlements...even the court attorney said so. Of course, should I trust anyone these days when it comes to matters like this? No I shouldn't - and I thought I could represent myself until I actually got there and realized it was all just a pressure cooker. I didn't know how difficult it would be to make decisions about adjournment while the attorney stared stormily at me.

It is more that I need another month to fully save the $$ to move away - time is ticking away. I can't be burdened with the past due for this current lease - but maybe you are right, legal aid might be a good bet to buy me more time.
NYC2009

Postby TenantNet » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:04 am

In some circumstances, a court stip can be annulled if the tenant was not represented. Court attorney telling you what is the "norm" is not a good reason to accept a settlement that will result in you're being homeless.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Housing Court - NYC