TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Restriction was put on bank account didn't know i got sued

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Restriction was put on bank account didn't know i got sued

Postby Melissapleasehelp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:46 am

Hi- I need as much help and advice as I can get. Yesterday I found out that a lien had been put on my bank account for a judgement that had been passed against me that I didn't even know existed.

5 years ago I vacated an apartment 3 months prior to the end of lease, I was told by the management company that if they didn't find someone to move in I would be responsible for the rent. I didn't hear from them until a year later when a lawyer contacted me to say that I needed to call him back to prevent legal action. I left this lawyer several messages and never heard from him or anyone again until yesterday when I found out that my bank account was frozen. I never got summons or notice that I was being sued or sent anything about any court date or that a judgement had ever been passed against me. I immediately went to civil court and filed an Order to Show Cause, I have a court date next week for that any advice on how I should handle that date as well as what I should do about going up in court against the management company's lawyer. This all seems totally unlawful to me but I don't know anything about it. I have no paperwork or anything because I was never sent anything from the court or the lawyer. Also if I need to get my own lawyer if there are any legal aid groups or advocacy groups that could assist me. I am desperate and really need some advice

Thanks to anyone who can help
Melissapleasehelp

Posted in wrong section

Postby NYHawk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:53 am

If you went to Civil Court and filed an Order to Show Cause there, why are you posting your questions in the Housing Court section?
NYHawk

Postby Melissapleasehelp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:00 pm

Because it has to do with Tenant/landlord issues and I was just looking for help anywhere I can find it.
Melissapleasehelp

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:03 pm

We don't have a section on the forum for just Civil Court, so it's OK. That you weren't served with papers back then ... that gets you the OSC and the upcoming hearing. Now you need to show that you have a defense on the merits. Did the LL give you a formal release when you moved out? What exactly did the lease say? Did the LL re-rent the place between the time you moved and what would have been the end of the lease? Did he commence in any work in the unit during those three months? And were there any conditions that rose to the level of breach of lease?
Last edited by TenantNet on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

rescriction on bank acct

Postby Melissapleasehelp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Ok so thats good that I will get the OSC I was hoping that wouldn't be a problem. On to the next issue, I vacated the apartment on my own because of some family issues in Wisconsin that I had to deal with. I called the LL and told them I had to leave early, I never filed a formal letter because quite frankly it was my first NYC apartment and I was an idiot with no idea what I was doing. So I told them that I was leaving, they informed me that if they could not rent the apartment that I would be responsible for the rent I told them that I understood that and agreed to that and to please call me with any information. I never heard from them again so I assumed they rented the apartment. Now I am being charged for years of interest (almost double what the remaining rent would be) when I was never told I was responsible in the first place.
Melissapleasehelp

Re: rescriction on bank acct

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:31 pm

"Ok so thats good that I will get the OSC I was hoping that wouldn't be a problem."

You get it if the judge signs it. It's not automatic.

"family issues"

doesn't matter

"they informed me that if they could not rent the apartment that I would be responsible"

You were informed. They are not under any obligation to call you.

"Now I am being charged for years of interest (almost double what the remaining rent would be) when I was never told I was responsible in the first place."

They can't go back more than six years. Of course you were told. It's in your lease.

Chances are you'll be stuck with the judgment, but try to fight the interest. Did they take the money out of your bank account? That's why God invented mattresses, to stuff your cash in.

BTW, please don't duplicate posts on the board.

TenantNet

Postby Melissapleasehelp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:10 pm

I am completely prepared to take responsibility for the initial rent. I was niave to think that when they told me they would be in contact with me in regards to weither or not the apartment was rented in the months that were left on my lease, that they actually would. I was new to the city and didn't know how things worked- Lesson learned!

My main issue is that a case was brought against me and a judgement was filed completely unbeknownst to me and that the lien was put on my account. Is there any free or income sensitive legal aid that you know of that could assist me in this case.

Sorry about the repost, when I got the comment about posting in the wrong forum I thought I should repost on the general forum to get the right advice.
Melissapleasehelp

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Legal Aid/Legal Services assists those on VERY low income (like welfare status), and they concentrate their resources on those that might be evicted.

Based on what you've said, and if you don't know -- or haven't taken the time to find out about the defenses I listed above -- then what probably remains is the merits. You don't seem to have a defense for that.

If the LL knew how to reach you, and didn't, you might be able to make a case that they purposely waited to allow the interest to jack up. That's why I suggested you might go after that.

You have to be able to walk into the hearing with some defense on the merits or the court will likely dismiss your motion. At this point they either have a lien on the bank account or maybe even drained your account. They have the cards; you don't.

You might want to look at that they might have used Sewer Service. Look at the affidavit in the original file for the person or process server who claims they sent you the original court petition.

TenantNet

Postby Melissapleasehelp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Please forgive me for being so unknowing on these legal matters but it is all new to me.

I do not have any original files or affidavit's because I was never made aware of the case. I called the lawyer involved with the management company and was told that those things couldn't be released to me. I know that I can go an ask for the public records somewhere and I am looking into that as we speak, the reason that I have no clue what steps to take is because I do not have ANY information about the case.

Thank you for all the advice you have given me and I am looking into all of that as we speak.
Melissapleasehelp

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:00 pm

"I do not have any original files or affidavit's because I was never made aware of the case."

I didn't say your files. The CASE files are on file in the court.

"I called the lawyer involved with the management company and was told that those things couldn't be released to me."

He's lying. He chooses not to give them to you. But you shouldn't be dealing with him as if he's going to help you. Get the info from the court file.

TenantNet

Postby jkgal » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Greetings,

This information, from the Neighborhood Economic Development Advocacy Project (NEDAP)'s website, may be helpful:

Vacating A Default Judgment (Order to Show Cause)

This guide provides general information for New Yorkers who are facing debt collection lawsuits in the New York City civil courts. It does not apply
to courts outside the state of New York. It is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice in your individual case.

What is a judgment?
A judgment is the court's written, final decision in the case. If the judgment is against you, it will state how much money you owe to the plaintiff.

What is a judgment creditor?
A "judgment creditor" is a creditor or debt buyer that has obtained a judgment against a defendant.

What is a default judgment?
When a defendant fails to appear in court ("defaults") the court will issue a judgment against the defendant. A judgment issued under those circumstances is commonly known as a "default judgment." The court usually awards the plaintiff the amount demanded in the complaint, plus interest and court costs. The court usually does not award attorneys' fees on a default judgment, but it may do so.

Can I re-open a default judgment?
Yes. Under certain circumstances, it is possible to vacate (re-open) a default judgment. The court has a special procedure for determining whether to vacate a default judgment. The procedure is relatively simple, and most pro se defendants can navigate it successfully.

What are the criteria for vacating a default judgment?
There are two main reasons that a court will vacate a default judgment: (1) excuseable default and (2) lack of personal jurisdiction. These reasons are explained below.

Excuseable Default
Excuseable default is the most common reason for vacating a default judgment. It has two parts: (1) a reasonable excuse for missing the original court date; and (2) a meritorious defense (a good defense). There is a time limit for moving to vacate a judgment because of excuseable default -- one year from the date you were served with a copy of the judgment. (If you were never served with a copy of the judgment, your one-year clock has not started.)
Common examples of a reasonable excuse: The most common example of a reasonable excuse is that you did not receive a summons telling you to come to court. Other reasonable excuses are that at the time you received the summons you were out of town, ill, incarcerated, unable to take time off from work, or that you could not answer the summons for some other good reason. You would also have a reasonable excuse if, in response to the summons, you telephoned the attorneys for the plaintiff and they told you not to bother going to court.
Sometimes people do not respond to the summons because they do not understand what it is. This is not normally considered to be a reasonable excuse; however, some judges will accept it.

Common examples of a meritorious defense: A defense is a reason why you don't owe the money, not a reason why you can't pay. For example, if you would like to use the defense of identity theft, you would write: "This is not my debt. I am a victim of identity theft." For a list of possible defenses, see Common Defenses to Debt Collection Lawsuits. If you don't know what else to write, most people can honestly state: "I dispute the amount of the debt." Disputing the amount of the debt, combined with improper service, is a sufficient (and very common) reason for the court to grant an order to show cause.

Lack of Personal Jurisdiction (improper service)
The court can also vacate a default judgment if you were not properly served with a summons. Look here for an explanation of New York's rules of service, including some common examples of improper service. There are advantages and disadvantages to trying to vacate a judgment on the grounds of improper service. The main advantage is that there is no time limit for seeking to vacate a judgment on the grounds of lack of jurisdiction. Also, if you seek to vacate a judgment because of improper service, you do not need to cite a meritorious defense (or any defense). The disadvantage of seeking to vacate a judgment on the grounds of improper service is that you have the burden of proving the bad service, which you must do at a special hearing called a "traverse hearing." Proving improper service can be difficult depending on the facts of your case.

How do I vacate a default judgment?
First, find out which court issued the judgment. (In a debt collection case, you will most likely need to go to the civil court in the county where you live.) Next, go to the court that issued the judgment and find the civil court clerk's office. There, tell the clerk that you want to file an "Order to Show Cause." The clerk will give you a pre-printed form to fill out. You can look at a copy of the form here. The clerk can also help you to fill out the Order to Show Cause form.

What should I write on the Order to Show Cause form?
On the Order to Show Cause form, you need to explain why the court should vacate the judgment. In other words, you have to establish either excuseable default, or lack of jurisdiction, or both. We recommend that you always include on the form (a) the reason why you did not appear in court; and (2) a meritorious defense. If you need help deciding what to write on your Order to Show Cause, please call the NYC Financial Justice Hotline at 212-925-4929.

Know Your Rights!
Sometimes, the court clerk will tell you not to say that you did not receive a summons. This "advice" is improper. You have the right to challenge improper service! And, in fact, improper service is often at the root of a default judgment. If you were not properly served, you should always say so in your Order to Show Cause.

Should I write anything else on my Order to Show Cause?
If you have a frozen bank account that contains exempt funds, if your wages are being garnished, or if there is some other emergency situation requiring that your judgment be vacated more quickly than usual, you should include this information on your Order to Show Cause.

What happens after I fill out the Order to Show Cause?
After you fill out the Order to Show Cause form, it goes to a judge for signature. In Brooklyn (Kings County) you will take it up to the judge yourself. In all other counties, the court staff will take it for you. In both cases, you will have to wait to find out whether the judge signs it.
If the judge signs your Order to Show Cause, you will have to serve it on the attorney for the plaintiff. The court will instruct you on how to serve the papers. The court will also give you a date to come back to court - your "return date." The return date is supposed to be within eight days of your Order to Show Cause, but in some courts you might have to wait two or three weeks for a return date. Therefore, if it is an emergency situation, and you cannot wait two or three weeks to see a judge, you should advise the court of this fact at the time you submit your order to show cause.
If the judge does not sign the Order to Show Cause, then the judgment stays in place. Don't despair! Call the NYC Financial Justice Hotline for advice about what to do next.

What happens at the return date?
At the return date, you will most likely find yourself sitting in a courtroom with a number of other people who are in the same position as you. The court clerk will call out your name, and you should answer clearly. The attorney for the plaintiff may call out your name as well. The plaintiff's attorney might consent to your order to show cause or ask whether you want to make a settlement agreement. No matter what the plaintiff's attorney says to you, it is important that you focus on making sure that the default judgment is vacated. If the plaintiff's attorney does not consent to vacating the judgment, you should ask to go before the judge. When you are before the judge, you must focus on the arguments you made on the Order to Show Cause form. Simply keep repeating (1) your good reason for failing to appear in court; and (2) your defense in the case. As long as you have a reasonable excuse and a meritorious defense, the judge should grant the order to show cause and vacate the judgment against you. If you want to argue lack of jurisdiction because you were not served with a summons, you must ask the judge for a traverse hearing.

What if I have a frozen bank account or wage garnishment?
Once the default judgment is vacated, the plaintiff must release your bank account and cancel the wage garnishment. This is included in the court's order vacating the judgment.

If the judgment is vacated, does that mean the case is over?
Probably not. In most cases, even though the judgment is vacated, you still have to defend the case. That means you have to file an answer and attend at least one additional court date.

More Information
How to Read a Civil Court Summons (PDF)
The Basics of Defending Creditor Lawsuits
Common Defenses to Creditor Lawsuits
Preparing for Your Court Date
Negotiating A Settlement Agreement in Court
Frozen Bank Accounts
Wage Garnishment
What is Exempt from Debt Collection?

Helpful Links and Resources
LawHelp/NY: attorney referrals and information for pro se litigants
National Association of Consumer Advocates: national database of consumer lawyers
New York City Civil Court: information about representing yourself in court, including contact information and court forms
eCourts: information about cases filed in New York courts
The Legal Aid Society, When The Creditor Sues, What Are My Rights? (PDF)

Disclaimer: This site provides general information for consumers and links to other sources of information. This site does not provide legal advice, which you can only get from an attorney. NEDAP has no control over the information on linked sites.

Good luck!

jkgal
jkgal

Return to Housing Court - NYC