TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security Deposit Question - Please Help!

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Security Deposit Question - Please Help!

Postby jlg2128 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:47 pm

I moved out of an apartment three months ago, and still haven't recieved my security depost, and my former landlord won't take any of my calls or return my messages. I'm new to NY, and I was hoping that someone could educate me about my options, or direct me somewhere that I could find out more information. Also the apartment was in Brooklyn, but now I live in Manhattan. (I don't know if that makes a difference as far as Housing Court goes?) Thank You.
jlg2128

Postby queensborough » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:43 pm

You can take him to small claims court. Did he say why he won't return the deposit? Is he claiming any damages?
queensborough

Postby philiptries » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 am

Seems like the return of the security deposit upon moving out is an issue that is on the rise. Landlords increasingly look for any reason to not return it and hope the tenant doesn't put up a fuss about it. Every friend of mine who has moved within the last year or so has had an issue with the security deposit being returned.
philiptries

Postby queensborough » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:39 am

I agree that most LL's do not return security deposits, and that's why tenants use their security deposits as their last months rent.
queensborough

Return to Housing Court - NYC