TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Do I need a different lawyer? Should I get a 2nd opinion?

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Do I need a different lawyer? Should I get a 2nd opinion?

Postby laila » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:57 am

I was sued for evicton in April. My lawyer says I have a legitimate case and can not be evicted, but he does not seem to be on the ball and I am losing trust. He complains that the LL's lawyer yells at him and admits he can not keep his cool or control his responses at hearings. He scheduled my deposition on a date I told him I would not be in town. He requested a $3000 retainer and sent me one vague note accounting its use. At my appointment to hand Discovery papers over he could not find his copy of the ammended list. That's just the highlights!

My depostion is next week and I feel no confidence in having him coach me. Should I confront him? Should I cut my losses and move on? Will changing lawyers have a negative impact on my case?
laila

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 am

I don't think anyone here can give you an answer to this. You should definitely speak to him about what you think are his shortcomings ... although I wouldn't say anything you said rises to ethics issues. If you don't trust him, then perhaps it's time to move on, but understand changing lawyers can impact your case in terms of rescheduling things and a new lawyer will need to come up to speed (or your dime).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Housing Court - NYC