TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Blending issues between L&T and Small Claims Court

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Blending issues between L&T and Small Claims Court

Postby NODEAL » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:12 am

I am in the middle of a dispute in L&T Court with my landlord (LL). Amongst other things, the Small Claims Court (in a separate issue) may award me monies from the LL for return of a Security Depoit and also interset on that deposit.

In short, in L&T the LL seeks rent money from me based on a disputable (and challenged) Preferentail Rent for which a complaint is pending in DHCR.

Upon my next hearing in L&T Court, would it be reasonable for me to take the following position?:

“I am willing to pay the LL 90% of the owed base rent in order to offset the possible outcome of the Small Claims case in which it may be decided that the LL shall owe me money”.
NODEAL

Postby TenantNet » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:23 am

The L&T court should not intermingle these issues on its own ... however the parties can come to a stip arrangement citing the outcome of one case determines the outcome of another case.

The Court should let DHCR come to it's decision.

If the case is about a deposit, that implies you're no longer in possession, which means if the L&T case started after you left, then Housing Court does not have jurisdiction.

If you started the other case after the Housing Court case started, why didn't the LL lawyer object?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby NODEAL » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Actually, I am still in possession of the apartment.

The building is a stabilized hotel. The LL must provide a first lease when collecting a security deposit (in accordance with DHCR materials). My LL collected the security deposit but never gave me a lease. So, I petitioned Small Claims to order him to return my deposit to me. This case which was heard is now pending.

Basically, my question was if I can use the anticipated award from Small Claims to slightly offset the current rent payments?

(It is a complete separate issue that Preferential Rent plays into this and I am not examining that angle here.)
NODEAL

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:38 pm

Shouldn't the return of any illegal security deposit normally be part of a counter claim in your housing court case?
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby NODEAL » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:03 pm

I thought the same thing.
However, niether L&T Court nor DHCR litigate Security Deposit issues.
They refer you to Small Claims.
NODEAL

Return to Housing Court - NYC