TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

APPEAL - no lawyer

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

APPEAL - no lawyer

Postby jkgal » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:49 am

Greetings,

Honestly, if one is bright and capable, can one file an appeal in a housing court case without a lawyer? When one reads the materials regarding appeals, tenants are advised not to file appeals without having a lawyer. Also, does anyone know if one has 30 days to file an appeal, or 30 business days?

Thanks in advance,

jkgal
jkgal

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:58 am

I would think it would be 30 days. Yes, anyone can appeal a Housing Court decision to the Appellate Term. But unless you know what you're doing, you'll be lost.

Seriously, forums like this are good at hand-holding and occaional good information. But you need professional help.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby jkgal » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Greetings,

There's apparently an office at 60 Centre Street which specifically assists self-represented tenants. 'Know anything about it?

jkgal
jkgal

Postby bluegrasslady » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:26 pm

You should not go to appeal without an attorney. Try one of the ones who advertise here.

Since you're curious, check out the folks at the table helping people who represent themselves. But this is not the best way to protect yourself or to discover all of your options. And you shouldn't do it the day of the court date. Act now to preserve as many options as you can.
bluegrasslady

Postby jkgal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:16 am

Greetings,

Thanks for your advice. I've been really trying to find representation, but, unfortunately, I've had to go to free legal services places, and the lawyers there pick and choose their cases due to the overwhelming demand for their services. My case is complicated and difficult, and to some it seems like a lost cause. But, I'm fighting for justice, since justice WASN'T served. LL played very dirty pool, ran out my clock - well, it's not the place to go into the whole thing. When I asked many questions of the clerks in the appellate division, they showed me a law, Real Property Actions and Proceedings 747-a from 1997, which said, basically, that it's all about the money. A lawyer could surely advise whether subsequent case law has given any precedent to an appellate decision which considers other factors, or a judge's ignoring of key facts, as my judge seemed to do with my case.

I'll keep looking for a lawyer - thanks,

jkgal
jkgal

Postby Palombella » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:20 pm

Today i went to the app term room 401, 60 centre street.
An employee there told me that if you apply for poor person status and you get approved, you can avoid presenting the endless documentation they need and just present a brief telling why you want an appeal
then you have subsequent time to perfect the appeal
but yes, i think you should serve a notice of appeal to the LL laweyr and to hous Court within 30 days to keep you right to appeal.
then if you take it step by step without rushing i think it is not an impossible mission.
i am a pro-se myself and i can not afford a lawyer
I see they always try to discourage you, for a lot of reasons, you might already know most of them

it would still be nice to have somebody doind it for you though!!!

keep looking and if you find something cheap let me know.

peace
Palombella

Postby jkgal » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:35 am

Greetings,

Thanks for your positive thoughts! I actually did this (what you suggested), and things are moving forward. I can read, I can perfect details, I can go over a transcript for errors, I know my case very, very well. Maybe a passion for justice and knowledge of the details will take me far.

Peace to you, too.

JKGAL

P.S. I'll let you know if I find anyone.
jkgal

Return to Housing Court - NYC