TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Please Help My LL busted in.

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Please Help My LL busted in.

Postby Antioquia » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:50 am

Ok I'm having it out with my landlord a sewer pipe burst in my apartment and she refused to fix it. It continuously floods the apartment and leaks everywhere. I told her I wouldn't pay anymore rent until she fixed it. She decided to evict me instead, but that's another story. I called HPD twice and filed an HPD action to get the pipe fixed. I had my court date yesterday and the judge gave her 24 hours to fix it bc it was an extremely hazardous condition. She had someone call me at 11 pm last night to tell me someone would be at the apartment at 9am today to take car of the problem. I said it was fine. At 9 am my LL shows up with an attorney and no plumber. I tell her that if she isn't there to fix anything then she has to leave. She tells me it's her house and she'll do as she pleases. Then she and her attorney proceed to push my out of the way and start taking pictures of every nook and cranny every speck of dirt I have in the house. I call the police and she starts yelling and throwing things at me, I tell her to stop yelling at me and to leave her attorney says she's not yelling just speaking loudly. I tell her attorney to do what she's getting paid for and advise her client that what she is doing is a violation. The attorney tells me it isn't. So I pull out that little blue book they give you in Housing Court and tell the attorney she might want to refresh her memory with that. In the meantime this mad woman is yelling and screaming and throwing things my 2 children are in tears bc they don't understand what’s going on and the police finally arrive. I asked for a police report and they said there wasn't going to be one as she was going to leave. They told her that regardless of whether she owns the house or the block we are the current residents and even if we haven't paid a dime in a year when we ask her to leave she has to go. And that the pictures where an invasion of our privacy. This isn't the first time she's come by she came the day before my 1st court date with a man and a three foot crow bar and stood in front of my driveway for 3 hours. No one will do anything. Does any one know what I can do? How can I prove that she was there? What effect will those pictures have in court? Can I get some sort of restraining order against her? Any help would be extremely appreciated. I honestly want out of that house but I can't afford to move out without my deposit back.
Thanks
Antioquia

Postby Anna » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:24 am

Calmly type out every little detail and all words & tone of voice that you remember as an affidavit.

Call your local NYPD station; ask for the community liaison officer; if not available, ask for whoever is in charge of those patrol officers. Ask about report again.
After 24 hr deadline, go the police station; get copy of report. If no report, file complaint: trespassing, assualt [she threw things at you]; ask about TROs.

After 24 hours expire, type that as last facts: 'LL has not yet called nor has plumber arrived" etc. If you have photos, get them developed. You can attach these docs to the OSC you will file in court claiming LL did not repair; ask for sacntions & cnmtempt charges too. Bring your tape recording of event to court.

You can probably file OSC today up to 7pm: call clerk's office to confirm.
And go to Resource Ctr aka the pro se office, before you file it. They can help edit/improve it: bring copy on disk [they might let you edit & reprint].

If you have not yet tried to get legal assistance, do it now: http://lawhelp.org/ny/
call some before you take action.
Anna

Return to Housing Court - NYC