TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Complaint About Judge

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Complaint About Judge

Postby Imp » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:30 pm

If you have a complaint about a particular Housing Court Judge, do you make the complaint to the Judge who appointed the Judge? What is the process?
I'm not a lawyer, but I will be someday, dammit!
Imp

Postby Aubergine » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:57 pm

A complaint about misconduct or inappropriate speech or conduct by a HC judge (not including erroneous legal rulings or decisions, which must be resolved through the appeals process) should be sent to the Housing Court Supervising/Administrative Judge for the county and the Administrative Judge of the Civil Court: http://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/housing/ ... tion.shtml

and also to one or both of the tenant representatives on the Housing Court Advisory Council: http://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/housing/advisory.shtml

Louise V. Seeley, Esq.
Executive Director, CityWide Task Force on Housing Court

Ashwani Prabhakar, Esq.
The Legal Aid Society, Civil Appeals and Law Reform Unit.
Aubergine

CWTF

Postby Anna » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Also: contact CWTFHC: the City-Wide Task Force on Housing Court, Inc. is a non-profit coalition that was established in 1981 to address the systemic challenges to justice in New York City's Housing Court.

Click on one of this link then pagedown to download a form that you can submit to the task force to complain about a judge or other court personnel:
http://www.tenant.net/Court/cwtfhc/index.html
Anna

Postby Landlord's Boy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:27 am

What am I supposed to do when it isn't an issue of judicial misconduct, but stupidity? I had a case recently when the judge added up a column of numbers incorrectly to determine the amount a delinquent tenant owed me. My attorney didn't catch it at the time, the error is $200. He says it isn't worth pursuing.

Sometimes the error is the other way, the judge awards us too much, and rather than mess up our books we may credit the tenant's account. But when we are under-compensated due to a math error we just swallow the loss...
Always Report Leaks Immediately!
Landlord's Boy

Postby Anna » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:07 am

Landlord's Boy wrote:What am I supposed to do when it isn't an issue of judicial misconduct, but stupidity? I had a case recently when the judge added up a column of numbers incorrectly to determine the amount a delinquent tenant owed me. My attorney didn't catch it at the time, the error is $200. He says it isn't worth pursuing.

Translation:
your atty will charge you more than $200 to file the motion and appear in court to have the judge to correct atty&judge math error.

Suggestions:
Add a Misc credit to T's computer account so that you stop harassing her with bills.

Next time, either show up in court yourself or provide your atty w/accurate up-to-date accounting of unpaid bills. and be available by tel to confer w/him during court.
Anna

Postby Aubergine » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:10 pm

Landlord's Boy wrote:What am I supposed to do when it isn't an issue of judicial misconduct, but stupidity? I had a case recently when the judge added up a column of numbers incorrectly to determine the amount a delinquent tenant owed me. My attorney didn't catch it at the time, the error is $200. He says it isn't worth pursuing.

Sometimes the error is the other way, the judge awards us too much, and rather than mess up our books we may credit the tenant's account. But when we are under-compensated due to a math error we just swallow the loss...
Wrong thread. A judge's errors of fact or law are not the basis for a complaint, but for a motion or appeal. A lot of people waste a lot of time submitting and reviewing complaints that should be dealt with through the motion or appeals process.
Aubergine

Return to Housing Court - NYC