TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

statue of limitation...

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

statue of limitation...

Postby sweetchick » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:09 pm

Good evening all,
I joined this forum hoping some1 can help me. I've ask the court but cannot seem to get anywhere. I would like to know the "statue of limitation" that is involve w/nyc housing court cases.

Is there a link or some info on where I can read this? Would you find this info in a self-help center. Also where are court records kept & for how long? Thanks u. :confused:
sweetchick

Re: statue of limitation...

Postby HardKnocks » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:19 pm

I'm pretty sure any judgment stays on your record/credit report for 7 years, except for bankruptcy, which stays for 10.
HardKnocks

Postby laslo » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:07 pm

I believe the statute of limitations pertaining to housing court issues is one year. Court records are kept in the courthouse, you can ask the clerk to retrieve them for you. They are kept for a very long time, but if it's several years old you might have to wait to see the files.
laslo

Postby Anna » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:11 am

Statute of limitations for the large variety of issues heard in Housing Court varies with the issue and are governed mostly by CPLR Article 2 ( Civil Practice Law & Rules: available online at assembly.state.ny.us) e.g.: rent & rent abatement: 6 years; rent overcharge: 4 years. Most issues not specifically mentioned in this Article have a 1-year limit; others are covered by the statute that forbids the wrongdoing...
You can get a good idea of the limitation on your particular claim by reading the booklets here: http://www.tenant.net/Court/Howcourt/contents.html and searching with the correct term for your issue here: http://www.tenant.net/Court/Hcourt/

Housing Court in Manhattan at 111 Centre St physically keeps 2-3 years worth of files on the premises, available within minutes of asking for them. Older files can be requested but you'll have to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive from the warehouse.

The public access computer at HC contains cryptic records going back for many many years: 10?

All court records are public records, available to all who ask.

Judgements only show up on your credit history IF the LL puts them there. They show up on those damn BLACKLISTS almost immediately: click search to learn about those...
Anna

Postby sweetchick » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:57 pm

Good evening,
Thanks for the responses. They helped. I have another ? tho...how or where do you find these BLACKLISTS & is this legal?
Did I say another ?...LOL. The comp at HC, can you search other counties? Also, the judgement is not listed on my credit report. I was told by the officer that the files are "court property" & I cannot get them.
sweetchick

Postby Anna » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:05 pm

click search, above right
set to 'all open forums'
type blacklist
hit enter
voila! everything you'd want to know about blacklists and NYC HC.
Anna

Postby sweetchick » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:36 pm

tu. I did that. WOW!
sweetchick

Return to Housing Court - NYC