TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord added legal fees to rent bill

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Landlord added legal fees to rent bill

Postby susan25 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:02 pm

UPDATE ..I sent the landlord a certified letter at the beginning of June stating he is violating the stipulation by charging legal fees to JUNE rent bill. Someone in that office signed for the letter, I have proof. I also sent a copy of the same letter via first class mail.With the letter I sent copy of stipulation. I also mentioned that he was never awarded any legal fees, therefore, he is not entitled to any. I asked that he remove legal fees from rent bill. Well , I just got a new rent bill for JULY and he STILL has legal fees on it.
Question: IGNORE IT OR TAKE ACTION? thanks.
susan25

Re: Landlord added legal fees to rent bill

Postby NYHawk » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:18 pm

If ya have the time and the motivation go to Housing Court and complete an Order to Show Cause. It's free. Attach to it a copy of the Stipulation, your letter and the July rent bill. The relief you will be asking for in your Order to Show Cause is to hold the landlord in contempt of court for violating the waiver provision in the Stipulation. (An order to show cause is simply a way of making a motion. A motion is the procedure used in any lawsuit for seeking a court order.) So by making an order to show cause you can reactivate the lawsuit for the limited purpose of hauling your landlord back to court to respond to your motion. And, your landlord will be stuck having to pay additional attorney's fees responding to your motion. Good luck.
NYHawk

Previous

Return to Housing Court - NYC