TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Notice to cure

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Notice to cure

Postby roseinnyc » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:06 pm

My management company just sent a notice to cure within 10 days. Saying that my roommate is illegally subletting the apt. to me. What should I do with it? It had their attorney as the contact person. They slipped it under my door, and said that I have until July 21st to cure this problem. I was stuck under my door, can I ignore it until they send it certified mail ? My super also has a spare set of keys that he keeps pretending to lose or not to have. I am worried they are going to change the locks on me. I haven't been living their 30 days yet. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roseinnyc
roseinnyc

Re: Notice to cure

Postby Lilly » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:40 am

I assume that your roomate is the tenant on the lease?Does he/she live with you? The landlord cannot under any circumstances lock you out, whether you've lived there 30 days or not.

http://tenant.net/Rights/illevict/illevict.html
Lilly

Postby roseinnyc » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:49 am

Do you know what I can do to respond to this notice to cure. It says she is illegally subletting but she lives there with me. How can I "cure" this.
roseinnyc

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:58 am

You don't cure it -- the tenant on the lease cures it. She does this by sending a certified letter to the LL telling them there is no sublet, that she lives there - and if they have any facts to back this allegation up, they should specify the facts. Because she lives there, there is nothing to cure (and it has been cured). Period, nothing else, no details - just that she is living there and there is no sublet. She does not need to provide details of your being a roommate other then identify you as a roommate (but only if asked). Then sit back and wait for the court papers - they will probably take you on a holdover (but you're not in court yet).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby roseinnyc » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:46 pm

Do you know how long it takes to actaully get to the holdover proceedings.
roseinnyc

Return to Housing Court - NYC