TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

3 day notice

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

3 day notice

Postby paulf114 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:56 am

Okay. Here's my situation. My original landlord was a very shady character, so I never got a lease, but there is documentation of my rent payments for the last year. In November, a new guy bought the building, and then never got in contact with anyone in the building. A couple of days ago, he sent a three day notice to pay the past four months of rent or be subject to commencement of summary proceedings of eviction.

So half the reason I never paid is because I didn't know who to pay or how. The second half, though, is that major repairs need to be done to make this apartment pass inspection. My apartment has:
1. major water damage/mold growth on the walls
2. a hole in the ceiling of the bathroom through which debris, water and the occasional rat fall through
3. a bathroom sink with a giant hole in the floor (doesn't work)
4. a leaky kitchen sink
5. a piece of cardboard where ceiling should be in the bedroom (probably water-logged)

The buildings problems include:
1. broken intercom for whole building
2. mostly broken lock for front door
3. crack addicts in foyer, hallway, and outside basement hallway

I'm wondering what to expect next. How quickly is the eviction process going to happen? Will I be notified? Do I have a case? What do I need to do to make my case stronger, i.e. legally binding or official?

Thanks for the help.

PF
paulf114

Re: 3 day notice

Postby Downtown » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:28 am

First you need to clarify wether your apt is RS (rent stabilized)....if not you are a MTM tenant.
Downtown

Re: 3 day notice

Postby Anna » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:26 am

Anna

Return to Housing Court - NYC