TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

can I be asked to stop smoking in a house i rented?

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

can I be asked to stop smoking in a house i rented?

Postby Richgirl » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:19 am

can I be asked to stop smoking in a house i rented?(No smoking was in the lease ) Can a ll terminate my lease after only 2 months because I cursed her out because I refused to allow her in the house in my adsent to repair my hot water heater
Richgirl

Re: can I be asked to stop smoking in a house i rented?

Postby custudent » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:51 am

If the lease stipulates no-smoking, then you may not smoke in the house.

The landlord can not terminate your lease. She would have to seek an eviction through the courts.

A judge would probably not order an eviction because you cursed at your landlord. But refusing to allow the landlord access to your house to repair the hot water heater may be a problem. You have to give your landlord reasonable access to your dwelling in order to do repairs and maintence.

I understand not wanting the landlord (or contractors) in your home when you are not present. However, repairs often cost more when performed outside of normal business hours. Rates can be 2 to 3 times higher at night or on weekends. Your landlord may have good reason for wanting to do repairs at a time when when you were not available.

Also, if a repair is an emergency (leaking water heater, burst pipe) then you can not deny your landlord entry.
custudent

Return to Housing Court - NYC