TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Dispossess or Eviction Proceeding

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Dispossess or Eviction Proceeding

Postby kukuberra » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:41 pm

So I got these cards in the mail saying papers have been filed and if I haven't gotten them to get to the court right away. They are labled dissposses or eviciton proceeding.

My landlord (management company) had sent notice saying that if payment hadn't been made by the 10th they would file on the 11th. I had already sent them a check (on the 5th) for half of what was owed and sent the rest on the 18th. The first check has cleared my account and the next one should clear in 3 days. (this is may and june's rent plus late fee).

The postcard is marked with the same date as the check clearing my bank.

There was no date of a hearing or anything on the card. I'm planning on going down to the court in the morning, before 9 am. What is going to happen?

Will being a late payer keep the landlord from renewing the lease? And...yes I'm caught up. Will be paying on time from now...

But am I screwed cause our economy sucks?
kukuberra

Re: Dispossess or Eviction Proceeding

Postby queenswoman » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:10 pm

I'm not a lawyer but you should have been served eviction papers by a process server. The fact that you were not served properly (or not served papers at all) may possibly help in getting the case dismissed
queenswoman

Postby queenswoman » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:16 pm

There are 2 types of eviction proceedings. One is for non-payment and the second type is a holdover eviction where the landlord wants you out for whatever reason even if you are paid up to date.

You don't mention whether you are in a rent stabilized building (6 or more units). If you are
in a rent stabilized building the landlord may not have a case for refusing to renew your lease
queenswoman

Postby kukuberra » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:57 am

thanks for replying. I got through the initial thing but now I'm feeling harrassed...see rinstating on calendar...grrr
kukuberra

Return to Housing Court - NYC