TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Am I being served fairly? DESPERATE!

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Am I being served fairly? DESPERATE!

Postby jhi646 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:38 pm

I am writing because I just do not know what else to do. :confused: :confused: :confused:
I have been living in my apt for almost 3 years.
my rent is about 1200 for a studio on the upper east side.
I was screwed over by my previous by two of my employers who refused to pay the correct wages.
I was unable to pay the rent on time and was a month behind for almost 6 months. I tried to catch up as much as possible.
Finally, it's gotten so crazy that I was 2 months behind, but I sent them always post dated cheks to make sure that they knew I was going to pay.
also, I even made copies of the court papers I had to show my pursuing my employer in court.
I have always communicated everything, every delay.
I came home one day to find a 3 day notice taped to my door. it doesnt look like it was completely filled out, or signed...? is this right?
it says LEGAL FEE on it and it doesn't say what the fee is, not even a number. It seems to be typed out on June 24th, but it was taped on my door on June 30th!!!!
*They could have mailed it to me!!!! They have my address, phone #, and I have always included such on a note with my rent payments.

*I wrote them back immediately with two more post dated checks and a note relating the problems catching up with the rent$.
I even took out a personal loan to pay the two months off!

*I am only 1 month behind (august 1st), and for this i already sent a post dated check with a note for August 12th, my next pay date at work.
Today I got a note from them charging me $55?????
It says "Rent AR"
If anything the rent late fee is in the $20's not $55!!!

*If this is for the legal fee??? can they legally chrage this without having told me about the fee on the notice?

*can they do all this even though I have been trying to communicate every move to them?
this is insane! I am not a person who is trying to get over! I am making my payments and letting them know in advanced, when they will receive them!

I am not trying to get a free ride!
otherwise I wouldn't be killing myself working here!

I cant even move because I dont have the money to move! I do want to catch up and will be caught up by november since I have begun a better paying job, in the meantime with these fees and threats!!!....
what do I do?
jhi646

Return to Housing Court - NYC