TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Online Housing Court Calendars

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Online Housing Court Calendars

Postby consigliere » Thu May 16, 2002 7:55 pm

The state court system has now put New York City Housing Court online.

You can search by court calendars, index numbers, or the names of the landlord or the tenant.

consigliere

Re: Online Housing Court Calendars

Postby Lilly » Thu May 16, 2002 8:38 pm

Yipee! Oh great fun thank you!
Lilly

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Fri May 17, 2002 4:03 pm

It only deals with future cases, which leads me to ask if someone can find out if your LL has ever taken you to court? If so, exactly what can they find out? What info. appears if the case ended in a stipulation?
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri May 17, 2002 5:24 pm

Or even someone with the same name. Not that this lind of information hasn't been available to some LLs all along but.. putting it on the net might create more problems than it will solve. I guess only time will tell.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sat May 25, 2002 2:27 am

FYI: LL have instant access to your Housing Crt History

Today, as a part of my credit history, I found out exactly what comes up regarding a tenant's past Housing court history.
It shows each action ever brought against you and on what grounds. It does not show whether or not the case was dismissed, settled, etc... Just your name, address, cause of action, date and index number (I've only ever had one brought against me which was discontinued by LL -I paid building Con Ed bill instead of him).
So, I went down to housing court and requested a file screen print out (not copy of file) from the clerks computer, which showed that case was never persued and LL filed discontiuance. For the future, I am now keeping the screen print out and copy of Con Ed bill, as a part of my future apt. applications.
Also, 3 other people with my same name also showed up on the report. Luckily, the actions were brought in the same year at different address and LL's, so it was easy to see it wasn't me. But in the future, I will also keep copies of all my past leases/addresses with me as proof, just in case.
Hope this info. helps!
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to Housing Court - NYC