TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Settlement questions

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Settlement questions

Postby tc75 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:23 pm

After much frustration I have agreed on a settlement with my landlord over lack of heat and rent abatement. However, our court date for a trial by jury is still standing, for April 5. We agreed on an abatement over the phone, and I am awaiting a written confirmation. Assuming that everything works out, what do I do with the court date? How do I cancel it? Is it too late? Thanks for any advice you can give!!!!!!
tc75

Re: Settlement questions

Postby too trusting » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:54 pm

Originally posted by tc75:
After much frustration I have agreed on a settlement with my landlord over lack of heat and rent abatement. However, our court date for a trial by jury is still standing, for April 5. We agreed on an abatement over the phone, and I am awaiting a written confirmation. Assuming that everything works out, what do I do with the court date? How do I cancel it? Is it too late? Thanks for any advice you can give!!!!!!
Show up no matter what. If you don't they win by default, they can forget to say you settled. Unless you get something from the court saying it was cancelled, cover your butt and be there.
too trusting

Return to Housing Court - NYC