TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Professional Tenant- How it's Done

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Professional Tenant- How it's Done

Postby Retaliation » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Keep in mind it's just a tip of an iceberg.There many more ways to tame and subdue landlord. :D :twisted:
Last edited by Retaliation on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retaliation

Re: Professional Tenant- How it's Done

Postby TenantNet » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Well I didn't spend the time reading the article, but I get the jist, that landlords often complain that some tenants are professional tenants, i.e., agitators.

Yes, there are some tenant who file unnecessary complaints or bogus law suits. But there is a difference between some crazy tenants and tenants who are effective at defending their rights.

I would wager that a much higher percentage of landlords engage in deceit and trickery than any tenants would hope to do.

In most cases in Housing Court, landlords often have the edge because they have the resources to hire lawyers.

There are some judges who are former landlord lawyers or otherwise are more partial to landlords. Judges in Civil Court (not Housing Court) often raise money as they are usually elected, not appointed.

And in some cases - quite a few actually - looking at who gives money to these judicial candidates reveals the landlords and landlord lawyers who fund their operation.

More over, many civil court judges go on to become Supreme Court justices, and some will go on to Appellate Term, Appellate Division and the Court of Appeals. (NYS highest court).

To get appointed to the higher courts, candidates are often told they must be "fair" to landlords. In other words, to advance in the judiciary, younger judges must lean more to landlords. That's because the people doing the appointing, usually the Governor, is fully owned by landlords and the real estate industry.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Professional Tenant- How it's Done

Postby Retaliation » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:23 pm

This should be changed...What's the best strategy then? We need some leverage to get what we want.
Retaliation

Return to Housing Court - NYC