TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Time In Housing Court

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Time In Housing Court

Postby gilaberry » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:38 pm

How much time can I expect to spend in housing court on the day of my court date? I'm trying to juggle some things in my schedule and just wondering how to do that.
gilaberry

Re: Time In Housing Court

Postby TenantNet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:06 pm

No way to tell, but I would block out the entire day. There are too many variables. You could be last on the docket list and by the time the judge goes to lunch (usually around 12:30 PM to 2 PM), they would tell you to come back for the afternoon session. If you don't, then judge could issue a default in the LL's favor.

Seriously, once my LL's attorney said he wouldn't come back, and the judge dismissed the case.

OTOH, it could be over by 10 AM. If this is the first time on, the high probability is that the case will be adjourned. Even if not the first time, there are times the LL's atty will want to adjourn the case and you will need to sign a stip. If that happens DO NOT agree to any stip with the word "judgment" anywhere in it. Have the judge explain to you what the wording of the stip means. Evicted tenants will tell you that's a good thing to do.

Also, let the LL be the one who asks for any adjournment.

According to the NYC Courts:

Please be aware that upon a second request by a respondent for an adjournment, or if more than 30 days have passed since the case first appeared before the judge, not counting any days due to adjournment requests by the petitioner, the petitioner may ask the judge to order that all the money due from the date of service of the petition be deposited in the court. If this is done, the judge will determine the amount and the respondent will have to make the deposit within five days. If the money is not deposited, the petitioner may get a default judgement against the respondent.

I have not seen this enforced, but it could. So don't you be the one asking for adjournments if you can help it.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Time In Housing Court

Postby gilaberry » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you. This is helpful information
gilaberry

Return to Housing Court - NYC