TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Why is getting a stipulation vacated so impossible?

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Why is getting a stipulation vacated so impossible?

Postby JingoFresh » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:54 am

So my lawyer did not include terms I requested/demanded be included in a stipulation made on my behalf after indicating they would be nor fully inform me of several terms in the stipulation.

Yet, no lawyer I talk to, even the most expensive and highly rated thinks they will be able to get it vacated, despite this.

I didn't sign it, I didn't read it, yet it was agreed on my behalf. I gave the go ahead being under the impression my terms were being included, and now I am beholden to it's terms.

What nonsense is this, really?
JingoFresh

Re: Why is getting a stipulation vacated so impossible?

Postby TenantNet » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:38 am

Yes, it's no good. (should this not be a continuation of your other thread - not everybody has read your other posts?)

In general, if a tenant is represented by consel, it would take heaven to vacate a stip. If, OTOH, you were pro se, I've always heard the courts are more lenient in the matter.

One thing to consider - didn't I mention this before? - is to look at making a motion of inadequate counsel, or something like that if your attorney explicitly ignored your instructions. I'm unfamiliar with the rules on that, but it might do something.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Why is getting a stipulation vacated so impossible?

Postby innocent1997 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:09 pm

From my personal experience, I purchased the credit monitoring service right after my case settled. I wanted to make sure nothing bad came on my credit record for any reason because of the stipulation. This maybe worthwhile for some people who just settled the case.
innocent1997

Return to Housing Court - NYC