TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Bklyn Bldg - lack of Certificate of Occupancy

Relating to Department of Buildings, Development and Zoning

Moderator: TenantNet

Bklyn Bldg - lack of Certificate of Occupancy

Postby BklynTenant » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:07 pm

I signed a lease in Nov 2009 to reside in a new apartment building in Brooklyn at the end of Jan 2010. I'm learning that this new building has not yet obtained a Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) and many tenants with move-in dates of December and early Janary are now displaced because the building has still not yet obtained a CofO. I'm worried that I will also be displaced when I show up on Jan 30th to pick up my keys. What is the Owner responsible for and what legitimate demands can I make for this huge inconvenience? More importantly, is the Owner allowed to have tenants sign leases without having obtained a CofO? Any help would be appreciated!
BklynTenant

Postby NYHawk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:11 pm

you should be able to find the answers to your questions by reading your lease. Most leases cover such contingencies.
NYHawk

Postby BklynTenant » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm

That's another issue...when we signed the lease, the leasing agent said that we'll get a copy when we move in and get our keys. Because no one can move in yet, they're refusing to provide copies of the lease to anyone. I've demanded a copy, but they keep refusing to provide me with one.
BklynTenant

Postby lofter1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 am

Have you submitted any sort of payment for the lease or apartment?
lofter1

Return to Building Dept/Zoning Issues - NYC