TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

rent regulated apartments

Relating to Department of Buildings, Development and Zoning

Moderator: TenantNet

rent regulated apartments

Postby landlord buster » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:59 am

My landlord demolished a part of the hallways in my building to combine
apartments at the end of the hallways with their school. They claimed since the part they combined was originally a separate building with separate entrance they had a right to do this.. After they finished they changed the C of O of my residential building to mixed use. After completing the original demolition of hallways, they left upper hallways in place and closed them off, thus separating their newly combined building from our rent regulated residential building. Now they have opened one hallway up and have begun demolition and plan to put classrooms above tenants. They have also received a permit for renovation for a classroom on a lower floor where there are no hallways and is directly above a tenant. They completed therenovation and at present the apartment is empty but I hear they are moving a teacher who is in one of the apartments where they plan
to open it up and place another classroom above a tenant. Any insight would be helpful. The building is in Manhattan. Can they change the zoning of my residential building and combine it with their school?
Is this legal? My building has been residential for over 100 years.
landlord buster

Return to Building Dept/Zoning Issues - NYC