TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Building has NO Certificate of Occupancy???

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Building has NO Certificate of Occupancy???

Postby guitarandjack » Tue May 23, 2023 5:19 pm

BTW, I DM'd you the landlord...

Really interesting turn of events.

Several tenants in our building were saying they have not paid rent for months, or paid partial, for multiple reasons - like the promised pool that's still a hole after 1.5 years (they've always advertised the pool like something that already exists.), etc.

Another tenant mentioned if they ask for rent or any amount, to ask the landlord to produce the cert of occ. So I did a little homework.

From the DOB Public Portal a810-dobnow.nyc.gov, our address shows NO CO has been issued.

Also spoke to Queens Dept of Housing and they couldn't find any either, except for jobs dating back from 2012, and were never issued a CO because requirements were never met.

They've been leasing units out for 1.5 years.

Not looking to NOT pay rent, but can I withhold or not pay say 10% for the "non-pool", and another 8.33% for the missing free month they offered but twisted mathematically by charging me the full 12 divided by 11?

My ONLY concern about reporting them is that I also read that if caught, order to vacate would be issued which wouldn't be an outcome that's actually good for us.

As an interesting PS, our fire extinguishers are all mounted on a wooden post weighted down by a concrete filled paint bucket. The only explanation I ever got was that a final fire inspection had not been done. Scary thought. :lol:
guitarandjack

Re: Building has NO Certificate of Occupancy???

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 23, 2023 9:21 pm

I can't read this as you keep opening up new threads. Stick to one thread. Read the forum rules. This thread is locked.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion