TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

NEW to NYC, multiple ?s, THANKS for your help

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

NEW to NYC, multiple ?s, THANKS for your help

Postby guitarandjack » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:07 pm

Questions in BOLD RED.

BIG QUESTION: We're in Astoria. Lease ends 5/31, no renewal form last 90-150 days. We brought up COMMON AREA heavy weed smell issue. If they non-renew us would that be landlord retaliation?
--------------------
More info: Jun 2022 - left CA so closer to grandson & daughter, lease in Queens 10 min walk

Nov 2022 - Asked to break lease with hopefully NO penalty, bec divorcing daughter thought of moving. Heard tenants say POSSIBLE. No answer. Let it go since daughter decided not moving

Feb 2023 - Strong spayed floral odor (NOT by building or management but by another tenant) to hide heavy weed/smoky smell in COMMON AREA. Sent update weekly when smells present

Mar 2023 - Management rep said FREE lease break BEC OF SMOKE/WEED

Apr 2023 - I responded a week later (was out of town) Clarified lease breaking & smell UNRELATED, not leaving (since no other apts in area close to daughter has criteria we need) but will take as credit for ONE free month with renewal

Realized & emailed NEVER got renewal notice within 90-150 days by law

Question: Is non-renewal/eviction by landlord based on our Smoke Free Air Act complaint a case for landlord RETALIATION?

What should I do if I don't get anything by 5/31?

I'm open to doing some homework myself.
Question: Should I call/not bother with any of the following?
Legal Aid Society,
Legal Services NYC,
Urban Justice Cntr,
NYC Tenant Protection Hotline?

Question: Should I:
Approach broker Serhant
Write CEO
Call/email NYC311
Online review with proof, pics, vids

Question: Can anyone recommend a good & reasonable landlord tenant attorney who handles cases in Queens? (Yes, looked online, but nothing like a recommendation.:))

BONUS question - Is this acceptable or NOT? Been talking to several neighbors. Advertised rent is $2750, with a free month. Turns out they collect $3000/mo with ONE free month. $3000 is what is on lease contract, which in my case I got 9 months after moving in. Yep, you read that right. They basically took the $2750, multiplied it by the whole year, TWELVE months, then divided it by ELEVEN, to give the "illusion" of a free month. Their history on Streeteasy clearly shows the rent they were marketing.

Happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks
guitarandjack

Re: NEW to NYC, multiple ?s, THANKS for your help

Postby TenantNet » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:45 pm

Bonus Question? Are you serious? You've tossed a lot of unrelated stuff together, but left out some basic info, like are you rent stabilized? If your lease ends 5/31, they why even worry about breaking it?

But before that, you are using an IP reporting to come from NordVPN. Please read the forum rules. Because of many problems, mostly from overseas IPs, we do not allow those on this forum (all users get checked). Your IP comes from Amsterdam, one of the worst problems.

Please remove the VPN and let us know, and we'll take the questions more seriously. Thread is locked for the time being.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion