TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

NYC DDC Water Shut-Off Notices

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

NYC DDC Water Shut-Off Notices

Postby kevinbklyn » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:30 pm

This past Friday (8/6), there was water shut-off notice from NYC DDC (Department of Design and Construction) posted to the front of my apartment building, as well as several other nearby buildings. It said the water would be shut off on Wednesday (today, 8/11) from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I rearranged my work schedule so I wouldn't have to be home without water. When I got home tonight, I saw there was a new 8:30—4:30 shut-off notice for tomorrow, 8/12. "Subject to change due to heat wave" was typewritten next to the date and highlighted in yellow. Though I did not ask my neighbors about it, I could tell from the way water flowed from the taps in my apartment that the water had not been shut off recently.

This seems a terribly shoddy way for a city department to treat NYC residents. Tomorrow and Friday are forecast to be a couple of the hottest days this summer, with an excessive heat warning in effect, so this impending shut-off might or might not be dragged out into next week. What is the best way to register a complaint about this? Unfortunately, I'm in District 48 and its council seat is vacant.
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Re: NYC DDC Water Shut-Off Notices

Postby TenantNet » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:42 am

Sorry about the delay. I would think that a shut-off notice would indicate the reason why it was happening, or a phone number to call where you could find out why. If it came from the city, then maybe they were doing some street construction on the water mains.

Often when water is shut off, then on, you will see a minute or two of the pipe sediment coming through, but that goes away pretty quickly.

You could call your elected officials, but all they would do is call the Water Dept. You can do that. Or you can call your local Community Board and speak with the District Manager. Some community boards are incredibly useless, but some can be useful ... it's worth a phone call.

I assume you mean Council District 48. See https://council.nyc.gov/district-48/ -- or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_ ... l_district

Even if the council seat is now vacant, there usually is still a skeleton staff for constituent services.

By the map, you might be in Sheepshead Bay or Brighton Beach; that could be BK Community Board 13 or 15. I would try them first - it's their job to handle complaints like this.

You could also call your State Assembly Member or Senator.

As for water, I'd get some plastic jugs and load up with clean water for drinking or cooking when the water is on, and fill your bathtub for cooling off if you don't have AC. Neither are ideal solutions, but will work in a pinch. If you're elderly find a cooling station.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
Posts: 10109
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: New York City

Return to NYC General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests