TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Repairs for a leak taking too long?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Repairs for a leak taking too long?

Postby tenantlife123 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 am

As of April 1, 2020 I started renting a 2 bed 2 bath (2 floor unit).The upstairs bathroom is located directly above the smaller downstairs bathroom. On April 11th, I notified my landlord that during use, the upstairs shower was leaking through the ceiling into the downstairs bathroom (approximately two cups of water would leak through for a 5-10 minute shower).

The landlord has had a plumber come 4 separate occasions, each time fixing something but never able to fix the leak. The last time they came was yesterday (5-20-2020) and this morning we tested the shower and it still leaks through the ceiling.

So it has been about 5 weeks since I noticed the landlord and although they are trying to fix this issue, it still has not been resolved. Since I am paying for a 2 bed 2 bath, but have yet to be able to use the main/larger bathroom upstairs, I feel that I should not be paying the full price. I believe this is a reasonable request - how should I propose to my landlord that the monthly price be adjusted until this issue is resolved? Or do I give more time and submit a letter in writing? So far, all our communication is through texting.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks
tenantlife123

Re: Repairs for a leak taking too long?

Postby TenantNet » Thu May 21, 2020 11:51 am

Can't say why the LL's work is not fixing the problem, but seems he's wasting his own money. I would send a certified letter outlining the failed attempts (as you did in your first two paragraphs) and your increasing frustration. Make sure you document things with photos. Send everything certified or by Certificate of Mailing. Never do texting - for anything, ever!

In the letter, at least the first one, you can imply (but don't state) that you might take action. Don't get him too pissed just yet. It does seem he's being responsive; just that it's not working. Maybe suggest he get a different plumber.

There are things you can do, but I would try to not be threatening just yet.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby tenantlife123 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks for the reply - I was able to resolve this with the landlord and now he is more responsive seeing that I was on his side from the beginning. I first suggested to the plumbers that the grout and landlord it was leaking because of old age and cracking in some spots. Plumbers said it wasn't that, and ended up replacing faucets, piping, seals, and during one visit said that it was the toilet that was leaking so replaced that base seal too...even though it clearly only leaked when the shower was running and splashing on the wall.

On their last visit, I suggested again that the grout was old and leaking. They tried to tell me that I was using the shower curtain wrong... but finally reluctantly re-did the grout and no more issues.

Cheers
tenantlife123

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 am

Glad to hear it worked out. But grout just seals the gaps in the walls or tiles. It does not contain or hold back water. Indeed, it could keep water build-up within the walls, and that might lead to other problems later on. When there are leaks, the pipes and connectors need to be well-connected.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion