TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Living Out My Security

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Living Out My Security

Postby Honest 2019 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:28 pm

Hello All,

I was told by my landlord that I can live out my security, but would have to pay for accumulated security increases totaling over 300$ throughout the time I was there.

I told them that my security increases were all paid up, as every time I signed my lease the security increase was put on the invoice as "arrears" and was promptly paid. Every thing is up to date, as they made sure they incorporated it into the new rent amount at the beginning of all my new leases. Which was paid promptly. I told them this and they told me that they would have to check their records. What???

What is wrong with these management companies? All that money the landlords are pulling in monthly and they are trying to rob me while I'm on my way out. SMH.
Honest 2019

Re: Living Out My Security

Postby TenantNet » Wed May 22, 2019 11:52 pm

Are you RS? If so, please post in the RS section.

What does your lease say about security deposit increases? Look at the fine print. If not RS, the lease language is more important, especially as for increases on lease renewals. Does it say you must maintain a specific dollar amount as security or does it say something else? The specific language is important.

If your lease ends and you become a month-2-month tenant, then a sec increase might be warranted. Understand that a M2M tenancy is essentially a new lease that lasts for 30 days and gets renewed every 30 days.

OTOH, if you want to stay an extra month, if you don't pay, then the LL would have to take you to housing court to evict you, and that would take more then a month. So you would recoup your deposit. Your defense could be that you're paid up if you consider the deposit. But the court might not buy into that, and ... you could get on the blacklist in the process.

So I would be careful on how to proceed.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion