TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Apartment location

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Apartment location

Postby hwnyc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Hey all,
Just signed the lease to a new apartment. Its in a fairly new building the only downside is that the apartment is next to the garbage chute... I did see this when I first saw it and still decided to go with the apartment. Its a very clean building and there was no smell but my apartment is right next to it. Anyone ever rent/own an apartment near a the garbage room? if so what was it like?
hwnyc

Re: Apartment location

Postby TenantNet » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:24 pm

It's not the garbage room, but the garbage chute. The garbage room would be in the basement. You don't indicate any problem (and you were aware of it when you took the apartment), and you say there is no smell. So what's the problem?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby hwnyc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm

I did say no smell, I did say I took the apartment and I did say it was a downside. I wouldn't say it a problem but a mini drawback. I also asked has anyone ever lived in an apartment near the garbage chute.(Since thats the correct term) I just wanted feedback if anyone has ever lived in an apartment near/next to the garbage chute and their experiences. Thats all. Its my first experience renting an apartment. Am I allowed to ask this question here? thanks
hwnyc

Postby TheBee2 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:53 pm

Of course you are aloud to ask this question. It is normal. I had such experience once while renting apartment in NY (http://deletedURL) with the similar situation and I didn't have or feel any discomfort because of this to be honest. There was no smell at all. if it is properly organised and taken care of there should be no issue for you. If you didn't feel anything by now I don't think that you will do later in the future. So just enjoy your stay there )))
TheBee2

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 pm

TheBee2 ... "aloud" to ask this question? Since you just joined the forum today, you do not decide what is allowable and what is not.

Normally I'd say learn your English, but in your case your IP is from Spain and listed on a spam forum. So the problem here is that you're spamming the forum. We removed your link and deactivated your account.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby david78 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:49 pm

I have lived in two apartments right next to the garbage chute - in one case in a little room next to the front door, in the other case on the other side of the hallway opposite the door.

They have heavy, secure doors, so there is no issue with odor or pests. The only potential issue is noise, I did one have a neighbor that was moving out and throwing a large volume of trash down the chute over the course of an hour or two. For normal, everyday use by neighbors it's not a problem, and on balance I'd say it's good to be next to the chute to save yourself some walking!
david78

Return to NYC General Discussion