TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Options for asking landlord for rent abatement

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Options for asking landlord for rent abatement

Postby lucent74 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi all,

My building has a gas shutdown bc it was discovered that there was a leak, and the risers need to be replaced. The project is thought to take about 2 years as they work in sections, and they are saying that it will take about 6-7 months where my unit will have no gas(this is the optimistic timeframe), and the building is providing hotplates.

I have a good relationship with my landlord....he sent me a message he is open for a reduction in rent. I pay 2k for my studio. They will have to open up 2 walls in my unit to access the pipes, and I will be inconvenienced having them in and out of apt during this project.

My question is what is a fair amount to ask for in terms of rent reduction?? $100 a month? $200? He knows full well the unit will be very hard to rent should I move out. Who the hell would move into an apt with no gas, two giant holes in the wall until the project is complete, with the best estimate being 6 months to complete.

I want to be fair. I love my building and landlord.
lucent74

Re: Options for asking landlord for rent abatement

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Please answer these questions:

How big is the building? How many units? Are many/most of the units rent stab?

Is this just cooking gas, or does it affect heat and hot water as well?

Do you have a tenant association? Do tenants have an attorney?

My building had a similar problem. While it took a long time, a lot of that was due to LL negligence. Two years is way too long.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby lucent74 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:55 am

It's almost 400 units. To clarify, no, I'm not rent stabilized or rent controlled, my rent is 2k. The project for the ENTIRE building to complete will take about 2 years as they are working in sections. I still have hot water, that will not be impacted by this work, it's just cooking in my apt that's an issue in addition to to workman having to RIP up 2 walls. No, there isn't an association formed, and there doesn't need to be one at the moment as the work is being done well. The units impacted as they work in phases is btw 4-6 months of no cooking gas in the apt. They have finished with one phase of apt(it took 6 months for that block), and now have moved to my block of apt. They have a project manager who is extremely communicative, and even have had an open meeting for all tenants to have their concerns addressed TWICE with board members of the coop sitting at a table gladly answering all questions. My issue isn't the work, what I'm needing advice on is what is "fair" in terms of asking for a little slack on my rent while I have no gas, and workmen in and out of my apt while two walls get wrecked to access the pipes.
lucent74

Postby TenantNet » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks for the info. But you're mistaken about the need for a tenant association. Organized tenants can put pressure where needed, both in getting the work done faster and legally (you need to watch the DOB filings and compare the work being done to what has been approved by DOB). And while I'm not suggesting you or other tenants rush to court, it helps to consult with a tenant attorney. To think anything different is being naive.

It would also help to consult with an architect or engineer to watch over things. If some of the tenants are rent stab, they can front for tenants who have no such protections.

As I said, 2 years is not warranted by any stretch. Yes, I've been through this so I speak from experience. And yes, if they communicate with you, that's fine. But you still need to watch over things.

As for what's fair, there is no absolute number. I've seen anywhere from 10% to 40% of one's rent depending on various factors.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby lucent74 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:43 am

Thank you so much for all the info! :-)
lucent74

Return to NYC General Discussion