TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Uninhabitable building?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Uninhabitable building?

Postby confusedperson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved into a brand new building in Brooklyn and there are a whole bunch of issues everyone in the building seems to be experiencing.

-no gas in building (can't cook)
-broken locks on many apartment doors
-water damage / leaking ceilings and floors in many units
-construction stains everywhere
-overdue electricity bill left with one of the tenants that says that our building's electricity will be shut off if building management does not pay past due amount.
-fire department notices of violations posted to the lobby wall requiring court summons for management
-unfinished construction in many units (half built closets and dish washers)

We have all filed complaints with the city, 311, HPD etc. but nothing seems to be happening.

Additionally, the only communication I have received from management has been a rent due invoice for October (11 days early) even though we already paid first month's rent and security upon moving in. Many of the other tenants are in a similar situation, with little to no communication from management. We have started our own tenants' union to collectively discuss what to do as a community.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm really worried this is all a huge scam. Thank you!
confusedperson

Re: Uninhabitable building?

Postby TenantNet » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Get together with others and form a tenant association (OK, seems you already did). Form a committee (with no named leaders as you don't want the LL to isolate 1/2 people as troublemakers. You might consider speaking with a tenant attorney. (some advertise on this site)

Make a list of all problems. Document the issues. Take many photos. Write the LL a cert letter RRR with all these items.

Does this building get any tax subsidies, i.e., J51 or 421a? Any government programs? Who are your elected officials? Some are OK and some are not.

Does the electric letter threaten the entire building for one tenant? I don't think that's legal. Check with the Public Service Commission.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion