TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Trying to move to NYC and would like advice

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Trying to move to NYC and would like advice

Postby Lorea415 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Hello, I am trying to move to NYC from San Francisco. I’ve read a little about how competitive it is to find an apartment, but I have the following questions. I apologize in advance if there are already topics that answer these question, but I’d appreciate direction to those forums so I can become more informed.

1. I am looking for a roommate in Manhattan. Do most people require a one year lease for new tenants/roommates? I would prefer month to month rent if that’s possible.
2. I plan to resign from my current job, and find work in NYC. I most likely will not be employed while I search for an apartment, but I can provide past pay stubs and evidence that I have sufficient funds in my personal checking and savings accounts. Does this make me an unfavorable candidate to a landlord or roommate?
Lorea415

Re: Trying to move to NYC and would like advice

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 pm

1. Most tenancies and roommate arrangements are for one year.
2. Yes, this may be a problem, unless your roommate is the leaseholder and can qualify for the apartment on his/her own. Most landlords will want proof of employment and a (gross) salary 40-42x the rent. If you're unemployed, one way to get past that resistance is to offer a large portion (6 months or more) of the rent upfront.
BubbaJoe123

Re: Trying to move to NYC and would like advice

Postby TenantNet » Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm pretty sure paying that many months in advance is illegal. However, they can ask for a guarantor.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion