TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Looking for a tenants' group in NYC for below market housing

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Looking for a tenants' group in NYC for below market housing

Postby Rosita » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:50 pm

I am not sure where this topic belongs so I am posting it in general discussion. I am trying to find out if there is a city wide tenants' group for tenants who live in HDFC buildings, or inclusionary housing, or any form of housing that is considered below market rent for income eligible people. I live in such a building set aside for middle income seniors. It is a small building and most of the tenants are too old/sick/intimidated by the managing company to join a tenants' association, but the thing we most need here is some kind of organizing. My building is administered by the Met Council on Jewish Poverty, which basically acts like a slumlord and tries to bully the tenants when they complain. When I spoke to individual tenants they were too scared to come to a meeting. They might have been threatened by the landlord with getting certain benefits cut, etc. Any help is appreciated.
Rosita

Re: Looking for a tenants' group in NYC for below market hou

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:34 am

As far as we know, there are no groups that cover just HDFC or Inclusionary Zoning (IZ) tenants. HDFC's are low-income co-ops, but can have rental as well. IZ tenants are when a developer constructs or preserves "affordable" housing on or off-site to a dew luxutry development and in return gets a huge zoning bonus. It's what activists call "neighborhood killers" due to the luxury housing that results. In a different form, this is what is being debated in Albany right now regarding the 421-a program.

HDFC's and IZ units are usually administered by HPD. The rules are pretty much the same as rent stabilization, although tenants need to look at the regulatory agreement for each building.

Met Council on Jewish Poverty (not to be confused with Met Council on Housing) can be considered to be a poverty pimp in how they operate. We hear complaints.

Depending on where the builidng is located, there might be some groups that can help to organize. If you can send us the address by Private Mail (see the button to the left with the "PM" on it), use that. Do not put the address on the public part of the forum. We can see if there are any groups out there that might be able to help.

In the meantime, get a core group together 2-4 of you, and put together a list of issues that you would like to see corrected. That's a good place to start.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Rosita » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:51 pm

I will message you my address. If you don't mind could you tell me more about the complaints you have heard about MCJP. Practically every elected official's office refers seniors in search of housing to them, but my experiences in this building have really soured me towards them. I would not recommend them. Thanks.
Rosita

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:56 pm

What we've heard runs the gamut, but it's not that much different from other not-for-profit groups that run buildings. They are still landlords. They get referrals because they are usually the only such NFP in a given area.

TenantNet

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:21 am

What you're looking for is an organization whose "catchment area" covers your location. Representation usually depends on income and what you are looking for

First, go to http://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/housing/ ... ferral.pdf and look for your location. There is considerable overlap in coverage.

It appears your location is covered by Eviction Intervention Services
150 East 62 St., (212) 799-9638 www.eisny.org.

But you might not be looking for an attorney for a court case right now, but help in dealing with a slimy landlord.

To that end, I believe Legal Aid has three programs:

Housing Practice: Prevents evictions and homelessness, corrects housing violations, obtains rent subsidies, and fights illegal overcharges.

Housing Development Unit: Helps tenants and tenant organizations preserve and expand the stock of affordable housing throughout New York City.

The Housing Help Program: A courthouse-based project in three of the lowest income boroughs, this innovative program allows for the provision of early intervention and comprehensive services to New Yorkers in imminent risk of eviction.

Other groups might have similar services. You need to ask. I know some groups can help with forming a tenants association. They sometimes come into your building, flyer all the apartments and hold meeting with the tenants. Some landlords, especially those wanting to maintain a public image (like yours) often allow this. In other cases, they set up meetings in nearby locations.

There are two others that are city-wide, Legal Services (not to be confused with Legal Aid), and MFY Legal Services (not to be confused with Legal Services).

Some of these places have Legal Clinics, open to anyone on certain days of the week. use the chart of call for details.

Due to the nature on not-for-profits, there might be conflicts of interest with MCJP. Be sure to ask about any conflicts.

Before going down this path, make sure you have at lease one tenant whose income fits within a groups guidelines.

Also understand that in today's real estate climate, these groups are overloaded. So you may have to deal with a bureaucracy.

TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion