TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can my lunatic of a landlady lock me out of my house/room ?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can my lunatic of a landlady lock me out of my house/room ?

Postby TheAlbinoAubergine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 am

I am living on the 3rd attic floor of a 3 floor detached house in Queens.

I am also living with a pair of women who are dangerous lunatics.

I don’t mean this figuratively, allegorically or metaphorically … I mean this literally, clinically and psychiatrically.

I know this because I’ve seen this kind of behavior before. Many years ago I worked in a mental hospital so I’ve seen this behavior before. Within 2 minutes of starting to describe what is going on in my household to a friend who is a senior administrator in a psychiatric facility he immediately said :

“That woman has paranoid schizophrenia”.

To make a long story short, my deranged roommate has told my landlady a lot of stories about me that are completely false and are symptomatic of the kinds of accusations that are typical of paranoid schizophrenics.

My landlady has told me that I have to be out by the end of the month. She did this by banging on my door and yelling and screaming at me. She was almost foaming at the mouth when she did so.

I am very actively looking for another place to stay but I haven’t found one yet.

I’m paid up to the end of the month. I pay month to month.

What happens if I haven’t found a place to stay by the end of the month ?

Can my landlady lock me out ?

Can she throw my stuff out onto the street ?

I’m particularly worried about this because I have a lot of computer equipment that I use to earn my livelihood. I’m a software developer.

Does anyone know where I can get solid legal advice as to what my rights are in a situation such as this ?

Although I have some savings, I have no income at the moment.

And … Does anyone know of any reasonably inexpensive short term places I could stay if I have to leave where I am living before I’ve found another place to stay ?

Any & all help and advice would be immensely appreciated
TheAlbinoAubergine

Re: Can my lunatic of a landlady lock me out of my house/roo

Postby TenantNet » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:00 am

Please read the forum rules. This should be posted in your original thread. And again, please do not write a book. You can ask the question in two sentences. We have answered this question on the forum's reference section as well as on the forum itself many times.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion