Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Non-Payment Last Month's Rent in Lieu of Security Deposit

Posted by Barry on March 23, 1999 at 21:12:45:

The landlord has given me 30+ days' notice (dated March 17) to vacate, and I have been mailed and received on my doorstep lots of vacate notices from a law firm. I have a month-to-month tenancy. I had a one yr lease each yr since 1983; then last yr the landlord revoked the offer for lease renewal before the deadline which she herself had decided upon. I live in a browstone with 4 floors; one floor per tenant. And there's a basement apt. in which the landlord resides. The vacate date is April 30th. What happens if I don't pay April's rent? Would she be able to get me thrown out, and how soon? Could I get an extension in Housing Court to stay longer at the apt. if I haven't paid the rent? How long are the extensions? Under what circumstances are they given? But, back to rent non-payment. I would rather not pay it, so that in effect I have my security deposit, rather than depend upon her to return it all to me when I move out. Should I pay the rent, or not? What are the legal ramifications?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name