Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Can lanlord take you to court if you are making payments?

Posted by Beckie on March 23, 1999 at 02:18:56:

I moved out of my apartment last semester(I had a lease for two semesters) because the people upstairs kept having parties. 3-4 nights a week when there were supposed tp be no parties to begin with. I couldn't get any studying done and couldn't sleep because of the noise. I have been making payments on the rent because I wasn't able to find someone to take over my lease. I have paid half of the rent so far and I found out today that my ex-landlord is sueing me for the remainder of the rent. I spoke to her in the beginning of the semester and told her that I could would pay her but that I didn't have it all at once and she said ok. I gave her a means to contact me and she never did. I didn't have a phone at the time so it was a po box. She called my boyfirend to talk to me but I wasn't there so she left a message. SHe didn't give me a full day or even 6 hours to call her back. She called him back and told him that since I was unwilling to get in touch with her she was going tol file papers against me. Everytime I have gone to see her she is not in her office. SHe also tries to get me while I'm going to classes and can't talk to her because I'll be late. I now have another apartment where I have rent, and utilities to pay. My financial aide money have been going to pay for books, rent and utilities and part of the rent for the old apartment. Can she sue me if I've been paying her? I'm not too sure what to do about the whole thing. I have four days to file a countersuit if I want but I don't know if I need to. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name