Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Noise!

Posted by Fred on March 20, 1999 at 21:12:18:

In Reply to: Noise! posted by Miranda on March 08, 1999 at 12:18:02:

: Hi,
: I moved into a fantastic apartment last week-- but it didn't take long to spot the one problem: we live on the top floor, next door to a club, whose air conditioner blesses my bedroom with an everpresent and low-pitched buzzing noise all night. Is there anything that can be done, at my expense or at that of the owner, in terms of soundproofing? The sound isn't especially loud, but it comes and goes as the air conditioner is turned on and off all night, every night. Is this something I'll just have to get used to? I've had to sleep in the living room for four of the five nights I've spent in this place-- so any advice would be much appreciated!

You could get the Dept. of Environmental Protection to test the sound readings and issue a violation if necessary. Is it an air conditioner that's broken, poorly placed or poorly insultated. It doesn't sound as if your landlord's responsible, but he should have known before you rented the unit, so you might have grounds to break the lease. Try contacting the old tenants to see their experience with it.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name