Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Super used keys to rob apt. 1 more question

Posted by Anna on March 20, 1999 at 11:48:32:

In Reply to: Super used keys to rob apt. 1 more question posted by Steph on March 19, 1999 at 14:51:04:

: Thank You for all of your responses - I just have one other question / scenario
: What if I withhold rent until he takes me to court & then counter sue him?
: Has anyone tried this approach or know anything that might help ? Thanks A Lot!!!

"Whoever came in had keys": could be anybody who worked in building or is related to same since the locks were installed.

If you decide to take legal action, go with MikeW's suggestion: small claims court: withholding rent can be dangerous to your credit rating and you can lose your apartment. And housing court is much, much less friendly to non-lawyers than small claims court. Keep in mind also that the highest courts have just barely begun to hold landlords partially responsible for violent crimes such as rape and/or murder committed in their buildings when entry door locks have been broken for months one end...

Legal action should be a last resort: read about pre-legal actions and small claims on Tenant.net, nolo.com, elsewhere. Try writing letters before you sue: a soft letter, then a firm letter, then a registered return receipt letter: alone or, better yet, with the other tenants. The tenants might contribute to the $100-200 to have an attorney write a letter.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name