Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Slumlord says we agreed to pay for ENTIRE property electricity!

Posted by Maureen in Ozone Park on March 20, 1999 at 08:28:33:

Hello! I have had nothing but heartache from landlords...and THEY bitch about the tenant from hell! HA! My current landlord who is either Megnauth Ramanand or Ramanand Sukhai (because they never actually told us who owns this crumbling wreck) has had our apartment on a shared meter for the duration of our tenancy (about 3 years now because we can't afford to move...we are almost able, we are really desperate now to leave!) and we wondered why we paid 78 dollars a month in electric bills!!! So now we brought Con Edison in to investigate, and the representative found that yes we had been paying for the ILLEGAL cellar apartment and the hallways electricity. He was unable to confirm the rest of the house (a 2 family illegally converted to a three family by cramming a family into the cellar) on or off our line. So now the landlord has been told to pay us back. So what do they do? They tell the authorities that WE AGREED to pay for the WHOLE PROPERTY's electricity in a rental agreement!! We never had a lease ! There is no agreement, and you would have to be absolutely BONKERS to agree to such a ridiculous thing. We have spoken to reps at the housing court who say we have no recourse whatsoever because this is not a multiple dwelling and we have no lease. It is horried and despicable that these people and many other slumlords are getting away with never fixing anything,. letting the foundations and plumbing rot, and the whole place infested with roaches while getting paid for it!!! Aside from THAT, when my landlord found out that they would have to pay us back for what they STOLE, they raised our rent 75 dollars to 900 dollars a month! I just can't believe it! Makes you think if there IS a hell, perhaps they are on their way!
I live in Queens, New York, in Ozone park which is full of houses like this. Many new immigrants come here year after year and I think they are all being crammed into far less than habitable conditions because they are desperate and don't know any better about laws. And it seems according to our great country that we are being raped but can't even scream! Is there anythinG i can do at all? Is there any way to save millions of tenants this evil heartache? Who do I write to? How about some new laws? Has every landlord sold their soul for a few dollars? OH THE HUMANITY or lack there of!! If you wanna write to me, please use the above address but take out the "NOSPAM". Thanks much! God help us all! HOW HOW HOW can this happen in the USA?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name