Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help! Harassing, violent roommate has rights, but do I?

Posted by Will on March 19, 1999 at 09:54:45:

In Reply to: Re: Help! Harassing, violent roommate has rights, but do I? posted by Mollyanna on March 19, 1999 at 09:40:58:

I'm from NYC and you may not like this answer but here it goes.

Why the heck do you give a damn about her rights? Let me ask you a question...would you rather be alive violating her rights, or dead in bed because you didn't change the locks on the psycho? You're passive behavior tells a bully like this EX roommate that you're an easy target: change the locks...PROTECT YOURSELF FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!.....YOU HAVE TO BE PROACTIVE...the school would probably rather you keep this private DON'T. Get an order of protection, change the freakin locks, have the room that was FORMERLY hers opened, box her crap, and drop it off at the university building where the decision against her was made...end of story. Stop playing victim and you won't be one. Demand your safety from EVERYBODY. Have your parents call the school if you find the school unresponsive...

Will

: This is an off campus apartment, not governed by the University, in Ohio. I believe they made her move based on the fact that she is only a sophomore and underclassmen are required to live in the dorms. If I change the locks to the apartment, will I be violating her rights? I don't want to infringe on her rights. I just want some rights of my own!! Thanks,

:
: : You didn't indicate which state you live in or whether this is a private (non-school) apartment. I question whether the school judiciary board had the authority to order her out of a private apartment. Under ordinary circumstances, if you both signed the lease, you would both be jointly and severally liable for the balance of the lease. Is she still paying her share of the rent? She should be. I think her keeping the keys violates the school judiciary board's order, at least in spirit. Can you go back to them for clarification, and ask for access to the living room, which was probably shared by both of you, and to the phone jack and cable outlet, especially if you were both paying for these services? I think she has a right to find a roommate who would be reasonably acceptable to you. It is really an unusual situation and I doubt that there is precedent anywhere for anything like this. I don't think self help would be out of order, and you might change the lock to the apartment, and either gain access to the phone jack and cable outlet, or have the phone and cable companies move the phone jack and cable outlet.

: :
: : : Someone please help! My roommate physically attacked me and has been verbally doing so for quite some time. The police were called, and a week later she was before the school judiciary board. She plead no contest and was ordered to move out of our house. Tonight, she moves out but informs me the landlord has given her the right to enter the house whenever she wants and do as she will. She has locked two rooms in the house - her room and the living room. I can not get to the cable outlet or the phone jack because of this. She has not left me any keys. She said in the note that she will be observing me to see that i do not violate the lease in any way and she will have me evicted if i do. CAN SHE DO THIS? DO I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH HER HARASSING ME FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS? i am trying to find a subleaser but that will be difficult for only one quarter. Also, she says she is looking for a subleaser!!! DO I GET ANY SAY HERE AT ALL ABOUT WHO LIVES WITH ME???? help, help, help. i am at my wits end. it seems she has many rights and i have none!!!! What are my rights? what should i do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name