Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Appeals from Housing Court NYC

Posted by satori on March 16, 1999 at 23:38:01:

In Reply to: Appeals from Housing Court NYC posted by Aimee on March 16, 1999 at 17:50:11:

I would not take the advice of pro bono attorney (the courts free one).They
know they can lie or be wrong and be held accountable by no one including
the bar, all they have to say is. why are they crying I gave them free advice.
I am not a lawyer. But why don't you ask one of these landlord/tenant lawyers for
a second opinion, and pay them, so they will have a legal obligation to give
you good advice.Talk to one in person that advertises on the tenant.net board before you go thru the expense
and time of of and appeal?

: I need to decide whether or not to appeal the decision. I was pro se. There are errors in law and errors in fact according to the pro se attorney. (I'm reluctant to go into details: the court was buzzing re this message board re Richard/Dangerfield). I will be contacting lawyers, all strangers to me, this week and was hoping some of you could give me a ballpark estimate about the costs and time involved to compare with what thay say.

: For now: how much to expect just to file the appeal?: court cost, transcript cost: 10 hours, attorney to prepare the papers, (alternate) attorney to coach and review the papers.

: Just as important: I want to deposit the rent/judgement into the court of appeals and stay the possesion: is this the normal thing?

: Thank you for your time.

: ps: any other suggestions welcomed!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name