Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Need more specifics.

Posted by MikeW on March 15, 1999 at 15:55:56:

In Reply to: Moving out; Does the New Roomie I Find Have to be What the Other Roomies Want? posted by Chad on March 14, 1999 at 20:02:49:

Alot of this is specific to the situation. You live in CA, but I think alot of the basic principles are the same.

Who is on the lease with the landlord? Is there any written agreement between the original roomates.

I would think if there is no written agreement with the other roommates, you could pretty much walk away, unless...

You are on the prime lease. If you are one of several on the lease, you can still probably just walk away. I'm sure the lease is joint and several, which means that anyone who is on it is responsible for the whole lease. If you just walk away, the roomates are going to have to pay the full rent, or risk losing the apt. And they will probably find another roommate to keep the expenses the same. The LL may even be willing to drop you from the lease. The most the other roomates could go after you for is what your share of the rent would be till they found another roommate, and any expenses in finding one. They may not even have a claim to that if there is no written agreement. And even if they did have a claim, it probably wouldn't be worth pursuing.

If you hold the prime lease completely in your name, cut a deal with the LL to terminate the lease, and/or turn it over to one or more of the other roomates. The rest of the preveious issues apply.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name