Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: process servers: my questions were....

Posted by Lou on March 14, 1999 at 23:46:25:

In Reply to: Re: process servers: need a real answer, thanks posted by satori on March 14, 1999 at 23:11:13:

Forgot to say: after receiving the rent demand, I sent a registered letter RRR to the landlord.

Here's the question again:

I'm new to the NYC Housing Court scene and have a couple of questions about service of
papers.

The affidavits for my rent demand and petition both list only one attempt prior to conspicuous
place service. in fact, there is only room for one attempt on the preprinted form.

First, aren't they required to make two actual attempts and deliver them on a separate third try?
The cases in the HC section seem to back this up.

Second, both lied about the only attempt: no way they were here within a three hour window of
the hours on those days: is lying common? I got the impression that 'sewer service' was a thing
of the past.

Third, I just read that the marshall doesn't deliver his own warrants, see link to message, does
he use the same process servers that landlords use? Scary thought...

Fourth, I've been warned that all oral answers go to Resolution Part instead of Pre-Trial Part Y
because the preprinted form includes service problems, incorrect information on the petition,
and defenses/counterclaims. There were no preprinted Pre-Answer Motion to Dismiss, nor any
other kind of Motion, with the clerk or with the pro se. Are there samples somewhere on the
internet? I only have until Tuesday and I don't want to risk losing any defenses/counterclaims. I
thought I would have time to see a counselor at a weekly neighborhood tenant group: I did not
realize that the '5 days to answer' were CALENDAR days: they should be business days.

The case? simple: landlord did not offer a rent stabilized renewal lease but is billing as if he did;
I've paid the full amount of the old lease. Now I have to take at least two days off work to deal
with this: one to answer, a second to see a judge. He should pay for this, not me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name