Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: General Info Needed

Posted by Will on March 12, 1999 at 17:23:32:

In Reply to: General Info Needed posted by Lee on March 12, 1999 at 13:52:07:

First of all check to see if you apartment really isn't regulated or not via DHCR (more info on this site). Just because a landlord tells you something doesn't make it true. So perhaps you are regulated but don't realize it. But back to your original question. Technically you're a month to month tenant until you get a signed lease. Meaning either of you can give 30 days notice to terminate the arrangement. T think any future rent checks should should have "your address:agreed 1 month rent" in the memo section. To prevent him from playing rent games with you....
If you're not regulated a lease won't prevent a huge increase a renewal time but it would prevent you from being ask to leave at a whim..or rent increases more often than annually.

Will

: I recently moved to New York and, with a friend, rented an apartment in Hell's Kitchen. I have a few general questions: Where can I find information on rent regulation in non rent-stabilized apartments? The apartment was advertised to us at one price, and after we had paid the deposit to the broker, he told us that there had been a mistake; the rent was actually $95 per month more than advertised. The landlord would not agree to the advertised price, but did offer us the second month at 50% off so that over the course of the year, the rent would only be about $25 per month more. I am concerned that next year the rent will go up so much that I can't afford it (I am really at my limit right now, paying more than I thought I was going to).

: Also, 7 weeks after I signed the lease, and 6 weeks after I moved into the apartment, I still haven't gotten a copy of the lease. I rang the landlord/management agency to ask if I could have it, and they told me that the landlord hadn't signed it yet. That was two weeks ago.

: Should I be concerned about all this?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name