Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Demanding Sound-Proof Windows

Posted by Kelly on March 09, 1999 at 18:58:55:

In Reply to: Re: Demanding Sound-Proof Windows posted by Anna on February 24, 1999 at 12:00:30:

Get real. Why did you move there in the first place? Did the landlord hold a gun to your head forcing you to move in there? You're trying to make a landlord resonsible for your own stupidity?

Around here, we have a stock car racing track which has been here for 40 years with races every Friday and Saturday night. So people buy houses near the track, KNOWING FULL WELL THAT IT WILL BE NOISY, then they want to get the track closed.

Next thing you'll be doing is buying a house next door to JFK airport and then going to the city demanding that the airport be closed because the planes make too much noise!

Or how about people making a conscious, deliberate decision to buy a house in a location like Florida, which is prone to ferocious hurricanes, then a hurricane comes up, destroys one's home, and then the homeowner demands the the US government is responsible for an act of mother nature!

Grow up people

: : : I live on a street that feeds directly into one of NYC's tunnels,
: : : consequently, I am subject to the noise of every heavy commercial
: : : vehicle known to man. I can no longer be in my bedroom without ear-plugs
: : : and cannot sleep at night.

: : : Can I demand that my landlord install sound-proof
: : : windows (or something of the kind) on the street-side of the building?
: : : It's become intolerable.

: : You probably can't demand such a thing, but you could ask nicely, or beg. Or, if it's that intolerable, getting them installed yourself might be worth it if the landlord won't. I'm very sensitive to noise myself and bought a white noise machine at Brookstone for $89. It really helps, although of course it won't block out car alarms, honks, ambulances or really loud noises. I have to ask why you moved into such a place to begin with.

: Even if you install new or extra windows, the noise & vibrations might still come thru the walls.
: But if you want to live there: reputable window installers will give you free estimates (Yellow Pages, friends, neighbors, & coworkers). There is one that advertises in the free weeklies: it installs a second, internal window for noise control: name is CityQuiet or CityProof?
: Landlords will often agree to tenants improvements, if tenant pays for it and leaves it when they move out....

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name