Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

No obligation to give lease to roommate

Posted by MikeW on March 09, 1999 at 16:33:52:

In Reply to: rent increase on vacancy lease in stabalized apt posted by Annie B on March 09, 1999 at 14:17:10:

As far as I know, if you're not on the lease at the time the prime tenant surrenders it, the landlord is not under any obligation to give you the apartment. However, he may be willing to do so. This would save him a lost month in finding a new tenant.

However, I suspect there is a kickback arrangement between the rental brokers and the landlords (this may have replaced the old concept of key money). In this case, he may want you out. If it is a small landlord (ie you deal with the actual LL not some sort of management agency flunky) some under the table money could save you the apartment.

: I've been living in an apartment as a roommate for some 12 years. The woman who is the tenant has moved out of the apartment as is willing to surrender her lease? If I ask the landlord to give me a vacancy lease, must he do so at stabilized rate, or can he go to market rate. Can he evict me if the tenant surrenders her lease?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name