Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Rent-Stab in Coop: case update

Posted by Anna on March 09, 1999 at 11:09:32:

We've been 'off-calendar' for weeks now. It will probably settle for my atty's fees & expenses, my cash expenditures, a 15-30% rebate on the rent, and some repairs inside my apt.
The LL's Atty first tried the same approach with my atty as with me and the judge went along with it, or seemed to but ordered some repairs. So my atty called the coop's atty: the coop responded that it was in a mexican-standoff with both the sponsor and the management company, which it claims accounts for some of the 'neglect'. The coop hired a new management company a recently: there have already been some improvements in the building in the last month: garbage, elevator, hallways.
The coop acknowledged that the sponsor is using several different names when paying the maintenance, but was silent on the transfer of unsold shares. Something strange is going on here, possibly one of the three Mysterious situations, but for now all I want is for my court case to end.
Also: some of what I called harassment and retaliation was abusive treatment from some shareholders, one of them the Vice President. That was probably personal anger: they were all trying to sell their apts and thought the HPD violations would make this more difficult: rumor is the VP's apt did sell last month, he did move out at least.

My story is familiar to many women my age: my husband enjoyed being involved in building matters, he went to the Tenants' meetings. I was busy with family, career and social matters: I ignored the building.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name