Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Housing Court deals

Posted by satori on March 07, 1999 at 17:25:11:

In Reply to: Re: Housing Court deals posted by Will on March 04, 1999 at 07:32:02:

I would keep the apartment.$4000 can go in one day these days.THe profit
he will make if you loose might even be in the millions.Why do you,
think hes offering you $4000 to leave. He might even be able to rerent
the apartment in the future if its unstabilized for $4000 a month in the
future and get his money right back.

: Sounds like the apartment is way undervalued....is their anyway you can pay the rent and keep it? Can you request a Habitability inspection? that will delay the process a bit. There are organizaitions that might help with some of it. Maybe someone else has an idea. My sister went to a jewish organization and they helped with both advise and a small bit of cash.

: Otherwise, try to take advantage and get as much as you can. Ask around about what the other rents are like.

: VERY IMPORTANT: ALSO MAKE SURE THE LANDLORD GIVES YOU AN AGREEMENT IN WRITING THAT ABSOLVES YOU OF HIS LAWYER FEES and COSTS. If you settle by law you're admitting fault and have to pay his costs...

: Will

: : I'm a NYC rent stabalized tenant and just had my first day in Housing Court yesterday. The landlord's lawyer offered to forget the 3 months rent and pay me extra, like a couple of thousand, to move out soon. I lost my job, I can live with my brother for awhile. Is any of this money, the rent part or the extra part, taxable? If I can get them up to say $4000 and I can keep all of it, then its $4000. If theres tax, its only $3000, isn't it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name