Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Balance Due on Lease

Posted by Will on March 03, 1999 at 11:53:26:

In Reply to: Balance Due on Lease posted by Missy on March 03, 1999 at 11:34:25:

Anything in writing from these people? Have you had a professional look over the lease?

The blanket refusal to sublet may be grounds for you to legitimize your 30 day notice. In NY if a landlord refuses to let you sublet in a complex with 4 or more apartments then you can give 30 day notice and terminate the lease. Things have to be in writing though. Check out rules for your state.

No more verbal contact. Do everything in writing.: About six months ago my brother passed away and I took in my 3 yr old nephew. After he moved in I was adjusting to being an instant mom and everday I would have security over informing me of complaints. After a few weeks I moved back with my parents. I informed the apartment complex of my situation and they said I could move out and pay the rest of the lease or sublease. They really made it a point to turn me away from subleasing saying I was responsible if anything happened. I decided to give a 30 day notice and informed them I would pay an additional month's rent. They informed me I signed the lease stating if the lease was broke that I was responsible for the remaining amount due until someoneelse rented the apartment. The complex said they could rent it in 2-3 months. At this moment it is going on 5 months. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name